- 400 grams or 8 to 10 brinjals / vankaya
- 2 medium sized onions ( ¾ cup sliced)
- ¼ cup coconut
- ¼ cup peanuts
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- ½ tsp cumin / jeera
- 1 ½ tbsp oil
- 1 ½ tsp ginger garlic paste (or ginger & garlic chopped)
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 to 1 ½ tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder or ¾ tsp garam masala
- salt as needed
- lemon juice or tamarind pulp as needed
- coriander leaves few
- Dry roast peanuts until nicely done. Saute sesame, cumin and coconut in the same pan. cool them.
- Saute onions until golden in 1 tsp oil. Saute also ginger garlic until the raw smell goes off.
- Add chili powder, coriander or garam masala powder and salt. Cool all these and blend to a coarse paste. Add lemon juice or tamarind as desired and mix well. Taste it and adjust the salt and chili.
- Wash and slit brinjals by keeping them intact towards the stem.
- Stuff this mixture and set them aside.
Making gutti vankaya fry
- Heat a pan with 1 tbsp oil and add these brinjals along with curry leaves. Toss them well to coat with oil. Cover and cook until done. Occasionally toss them or flip them to cook evenly.
- When the eggplants are cooked completely, the skin wilts off. Sprinkle coriander leaves.
- Serve stuffed brinjal fry hot with rice and ghee.
Like us on Facebook & stay posted on delicious recipes: www.facebook.com/sunflameindia