pressure cooking rajma:
- 1 cup rajma
- 4 cups water
- 2 tsp butter / ghee / oil
- 1 tsp jeera / cumin seeds
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tomato, finely chopped
- few coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp red chilli powder, adjust to your spice level
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp garam masala powder
- 1 tbsp kasuri methi / dry fenugreek leaves
- water, if required
Directions ( 1 cup =255 ml):
- soak the rajma / red kidney beans overnight with enough water.
- next day rinse it well in running water and pressure cook for 5 whistles.
- in a large pan, heat 2 tsp of butter and add in cumin seeds.
- next add chopped onion and fry till they turn translucent.
- time to add ginger, garlic and saute till the raw smell goes away.
- now add chopped tomato and fry till they start releasing oil from sides.
- time to add spice powder; add chilli powder, coriander powder and garam masala. fry for a minute without burning the spices.
- now add cooked rajma.
- add salt to taste and give a good mix.
- next is to cook rajma with onion-tomato gravy for 15 minutes. keep the flame on low.
- finally add crushed kasuri methi and chopped coriander leaves.
- mash the beans a bit and stir again to make a thick gravy.
- serve rajma masala with steamed rice or chapathi.