- 1/4th cup long grain Basmati rice
- 4-5 cups full fat milk
- 2-3 cardamom seeds (crushed)
- 2 tbsp almonds (blanched)
- A pinch of saffron threads
- 1 tbsp skinned pistachio nuts (chopped)
- 1 tbsp raisins (optional)
- 2-3 tbsp sugar or as desired
- Silver Varak
- Soak saffron in 1 tblsp of warm milk and keep aside.
- Wash and soak the rice for 15 mins.
- Heat milk in a large heavy bottom pan/ kadai.
- When the milk begins to boil add rice and on low flame let it simmer gently until the rice is soft and the grains are starting to break up. Keep stirring occasionally to avoid sticking of rice in the bottom of the pan .
- Cook it till the quantity of the mixture is reduced to 3/4 of its original volume.
- Now add chopped almonds, pistachio, soaked saffron, crushed cardamom and raisins and simmer for another 3-4 minutes.
- Add the sugar and stir until completely dissolved.
- Remove the rice kheer from heat in a serving dish and let it cool.
- Later garnish with chopped almonds and pista. Add some varak also.
- You can serve the rice kheer either warm or chilled as you prefer.
- Kheer tastes extra good if refrigerated overnight.
- You can choose any nuts you prefer - cashewnuts, pista, almonds, walnuts and raisins. Even dates can be added.
- You can replace green cardamom with rose water too.
- Serving Idea - Serve chilled kheer with hot piping jalebi. Awesome combination.
Like us on Facebook & stay posted on delicious recipes: www.facebook.com/sunflameindia